Saturday, September 24, 2011

Green Winged Macaw (Ara chloropterus)

English and Scientific Name: Green Winged Macaw (Ara chloropterus)
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Observation:  The is a picture of me holding what is commonly known as a “Green Winged Macaw” this beautiful bird was viewed during our class trip that someone brought in.  The bird is actually poised on my arm as I extend it out and I was quite surprised by that because usually if you go near a bird it fly’s away but I imagine that a bird that lives at a Wildlife Refuge is probably either trained and feels comfortable with human contact.  If you look at the picture the bird is just calmly sitting there which I think is amazing.  The first thing that struck me about this bird was the bright colors and how a bird such as this I don’t think you can see just in your everyday travels such as the pigeons that we often see in our everyday travels. 
Questions:
1.      What does the bird think about me holding it?
2.      Where do Green Winged Macaw’s live?
3.      If coming into human contact usually causes birds to fly away, for this bird, what could cause that?
Scientific Research:
Lamb, Chester.  A Glimpse of Bird Life on the West Coast of Mexico, The Condor
Vol. 12, No. 2 (Mar. - Apr., 1910), pp. 74-79.  Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1362095.
The Macaw’s can reside on the West Coast of Mexico.  They usually fly in pairs and when flying keep up a regular, frequent and very loud call that sounds like the word wah-cah, with the accent on the last syllable, repeated two or three times, and this has given the Macaw the local name of Waca simply based on their call (Lamb). 

No comments:

Post a Comment