Sunday, September 25, 2011

Japanese Honey Suckle (Lonicera japonica)

English and Scientific Name:  Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica)
Kingdom: Plantae
Unranked: Angiosperms
Unranked: Eudicots
Observation: I have never seen this before today’s visit.  It really opened my eyes that the trees are brought over from other regions.  I did learn today that the oriental region of plants are aggressive.  After my research, I learned that this plant is sold in American Nurseries (wikidpedia, org., 2011).
Questions:
1.      Since honey is in the name, is it edible?
2.      Does it have a smell?
3.      Since this is an oriental region based plant, is it used in herbal medicine?
Scientific Research:

Andrews, E.F. THE JAPANESE HONEYSUCKLE IN THE EASTERN UNITED STATES, Torreya,
Vol. 19, No. 3 (March, 1919), pp. 37-43. Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40595996
Does it have a smell?

No comments:

Post a Comment