Sunday, September 25, 2011

Honey Locust Tree (Gleditsia triacanthos)

English and Scientific Name: Honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos)
Kingdom: Plantae
Phylum: Angiosperms
Class: Eudicots
Observation: I would see these on the sidewalk randomly but never knew exactly what they were.  I realized I usually see them in the fall and just step on them as I’m walking.  I paid attention to the pod looking pieces and it reminded me of snap string beans. 
Questions:
1.      Since honey is in the name, is it edible?
2.      Do they only grow in the fall?
3.      How tall can the tree grow?
Scientific Research:
Meehan, Thomas. On a White-Seeded Variety of the Honey Locust, Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, Vol. 37, (1885), pp. 404-405. Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4061140
Since honey is in the, name is it edible?

No comments:

Post a Comment